How can I say the LGB-T Community is racist?
Let me count the ways. Take a look at how we portray our own culture, for example.
1. Most of the people in LGB-T magazines are white.
2. Most of the leaders of LGB-T organizations (even today) are white.
3. The stories that mostly get heard from the transgender community are those of white, late life transitioners. A lot of trans women of color transition early in life (teens, early 20's), and their stories are seriously un/under represented in LGB-T media.
4. When areas are dedicated as "gayborhoods", they are areas that have usually been taken over by white gay men. A lot of times, these neighborhoods were occupied by people of color and became gentrified. Very little conversation is had around this issue.
5. The mainstream LGB-T community is quite happy to perpetuate the myth that we were "better off financially" than our heterosexual/cisgender counterparts. This myth has the effect of not only being classist, but racist. It is racist because the data was obtained from a consumer study that polled middle to upper class white gay men.
6. Even now, when searching for the "perfect plaintiffs" for LGB-T rights court cases, the plaintiffs are usually white. Or if it is a group lawsuit, the group will be overwhelmingly white.
There are many other things I could mention, but I thought I would give you a chance to leave your own examples in the comments section. What racism in the LGB-T community have YOU noticed?
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Posted by De Sube at 7/11/2010 10:40:00 AM